David Denton

ALMOST everything you ever wanted to know about
building and zoning regulations…but were afraid to ask!

Information that must be on a
permit application:

bulletName, address, and phone number of owner
bulletName, address and phone number of contractor
bullet911 assigned address
bulletMap and parcel number of building site
bulletContractors license number for construction over $25,000.
bulletContractors must furnish proof of workers compensation
insurance coverage or signed affidavit of exemption
bulletEstimate cost of construction
bulletSize of building in Square feet and number of floors
bulletProposed use: Commercial, residential, industrial, etc.

Application Instructions

At the time of paying the permit fee, you have only APPLIED for a building permit. A permit (Blue Card) will be issued along with the completed application form after the building inspector reviews the application for conformity to building and zoning regulations. DO NOT start construction before receiving the blue permit card. Your application for a building permit and its attendant fee DOES NOT include permits and/or fees for electrical, water, gas, or sewer. These permits must be applied for at the Lenoir City Utilities Board Office at 200 Dept Street. Phone: 865-986-6591.

Please check your completed application form and blue permit card when returned to you by the building inspector for the required building setback distances from the property lines. Building setback distances from property lines are regulated by zoning. The city is divided into several zones both residential and commercial, each with different requirements. Do not rely on friends, neighbors or a contractor for zoning and building regulation information. It may be incorrect. The building inspector may require you to have a licensed surveyor locate your property lines if your setback distances are in question.

Please remember in most cases the edge of the pavement is NOT the front property line. Most roads and streets have an easement in excess of the pavement width but the only sure way to locate it is a survey.

Also, remember the city zoning setback requirements may be more restrictive than subdivision restrictions. You must also have a 911 property address before the building inspector or the electrical inspector can issue a permit. 911 addresses are issued for all of Loudon County by the County 911 mapping and addressing office. Phone number 865-986-8911. The city building inspector can issue one and two family dwelling permits after he verifies zoning and setback requirements. No plans are required to be submitted for one and tow family dwellings. All other construction requires that both a site plan and construction plans be submitted. One copy of these plans must be submitted to the Lenoir City building inspector and one copy to the planning office at 274 Blair Bend Drive, Loudon TN 37774. Phone number: 865-458-3880. A plan checking fee is required by the Planning office only. Please allow at least two weeks time for the planning office to review and make any necessary comments or corrections to your plans as submitted. Lenoir City does have storm water detention requirements for developments of one acre or more. The planning office will require engineering calculations for storm water drainage and detention as part of site plan submittal. All plans must have the stamp or seal of a registered architect or engineer. The Lenoir City Building Inspector will not issue a building permit for other than one and two family dwellings until plans and the planning office has approved appropriate changes. The Lenoir City Board of Zoning Appeals and the Planning Commission normally meet on the first Tuesday of each month at 6:00 p.m. at City Hall. Any request for variances or rezoning must be submitted to the planning office two weeks prior to the meeting.

Frequently Asked Questions About Building Permits

Why must I get a permit before beginning construction?

Because it is the law and construction must be checked to insure compliance with minimum construction standards, zoning and setback requirements. The building code provides for a penalty of double the normal permit fee if work is started prior to receiving a building permit. Call the Codes Enforcement Office at 865-986-7224 for information before work begins.

What are setback distances and are they the same all over town?

“Setbacks” are the minimum distances required by the law that a building, residential or commercial must be from property lines. Front, side, and rear setback distances vary in different zones. Call the codes enforcement office at 865-986-7224 for setback distances or other questions before work begins.

I want to build a storage building or carport at my house, what are the setback requiremtns and do I have to have a permit?

Free standing buildings are permitted to be located closer to property lines than garages, carports, or storage rooms attached to the house. However, free standing accessory structures must be located in the rear yard unless the board of zoning appeals approves a variance. All outside construction whether habitual space or storage space requires a building permit. Contact the codes Enforcement Office at 865-986-7224 for information.

Do I have to have a permit to paint the outside of my house or to repair and replace rotten porch floors, steps, etc.

No, a permit is not required for routine maintenance and repairs. However, if you decide to have siding installed instead of painting, you or the siding contractor must get a permit. The requirement for a permit helps protect you from unscrupulous fly-by-night contractors and allows the city to have some measure of control over the work being done. Call 865-986-7224 the Codes Enforcement Office for information.


Most outside renovation work, remodeling and all additions to either residential or commercial buildings requires a building permit. Contact the Codes Enforcement Office before work begins to avoid delays.

Contact Information

Phone: 865-986-7224
Fax: 865-988-5143
P.O. Box 445
600 East Broadway
Lenoir City, TN 37771